Robinson R22 Trial Lesson
A trial lesson in a Robinson R22 helicopter is the way most private pilots started their flying careers. This small, lightweight helicopter is by far the most popular choice for those learning due to its simplicity and low running costs.
A trial lesson will involve a ground briefing (often in the cockpit) followed by the flight itself. The primary topics covered within a trial lesson will include;
- The fundamentals of how the helicopter works
- The individual flight controls, their purpose and operation
- A basic understanding of the flight instruments.
After take-off the student will have the opportunity to;
- Manipulate each control in flight and
- See how the helicopter responds visually or via the cockpit instruments
- Follow the instructor through on some of more complex manoeuvres
- Have a go at hovering
- Experience radio communication with air traffic control.
Note: If the student is above 17st (108kg) in weight or over 6ft 2” (1.88m) in height the R22 will not be suitable. Please see the Robinson R44.